Even if you’re not confident with technology, it’s actually very easy to get your DSL modem set up with the free self-installation kit we send you.
I’ll provide a basic overview here, so you’ll know what to expect. You could also look back at this setup information if you ever need to reinstall your modem in a different spot in your home.
DSL Setup Steps
- Install the Dual-Jack Filter. Unplug your phone from the wall jack nearest to your computer and then plug the dual filter into that phone jack. Plug your phone into the phone jack of the dual-jack filter (where you see the phone icon). Leave the second jack on the filter empty for now.
- Plug in the Single-Jack Filters. You need to install single-jack filters for everything in your home that is plugging into a wall jack. Unplug any additional phones, fax machines, Tivo, and other devices you may have in other wall jacks, plug in the single-jack filters, and then plug the devices back into the filter.
- Plug in the Modem. First, make sure you have a surge protector plugged into a wall socket. Then plug the power brick for the DSL modem into your surge protector, and plug the power cord into the back of the DSL modem. Turn the surge protector on first, and then turn on the DSL modem by pressing the power button on the back. The power light will come on and other lights will blink and glow.
- Connect the phone cable. Plug one end of the included gray phone cord into the gray side of the dual-jack filter you installed in step 1. Plug the other end of the phone cord into the DSL modem’s gray DSL port.
- Connect the Ethernet cable. Plug one end of the yellow Ethernet cable into your computer’s Ethernet port and the other end into the DSL modem’s yellow Ethernet port.
To watch an animation showing these DSL setup steps, click here.
Enjoy your high-speed DSL Internet access.