If you are an EarthLink Internet access member with either dial-up Internet , cable internet, high-speed DSL, freestanding DSL (that’s DSL without a phone line), or high-speed satellite internet access, here are some things you should know about your EarthLink email:
- you can create up to 8 email addresses (just click the Add a new email profile link in My Account)
- you can access your email with an email client like Outlook or Outlook express, or on the Web using EarthLink Web Mail
- spam and email virus protection are active automatically but you can change your spam settings here
- you get 100 MB of email storage for each email address
The rest of this post will help you with that last bullet point: email storage space.
While 100 MB is plenty of storage for most people, depending on how you use your email, your email box may get filled up, especially if you often receive large attachments or haven’t deleted old mail recently.
If your email storage space is maxed out (or close to it), people may have email messages they send to you bounce back to them and you may receive an error message about reaching your storage limit.
To avoid this problem (or deal with it now that you’re aware of it), here’s what you should do to clear out some email storage space:
- Sign into EarthLink Web Mail with your email address & password.
- Check what percentage of your 100 MB of email store space you are using (you’ll see it in the upper-left corner of Web Mail).
- In your Inbox, put checkmarks next to messages you want to delete and then click the Delete button. TIP: to quickly clear the most space, click the Date link in the header twice to sort your messages from oldest to newest (you may want to start by deleting all the oldest ones), or click the Size link and start deleting the messages that are taking up the most space (which probably have large attachments).
- Click the Empty link next to the Trash folder to the left of your Inbox.
- Click OK to confirm you want to delete all the messages in your Trash (if you are not sure, click the Trash link and make sure there’s nothing in the Trash you want to save).
Just remember to log out and then sign back in (with your other EarthLink email addresses and passwords) if you want to repeat these simple steps to clear storage space in your other email inboxes.