EarthLink has been a top Web Hosting provider since 1995. And one of the many things we’ve learned over the years by talking to our customers is that people often drag their feet before signing up for web hosting service because they don’t know how to build a website.
The good news? You don’t need to know how to build a website to get started with a website hosting plan. There are several easy site-building options you can choose when you’re ready to create a website for your business.
With EarthLink Web Hosting, you can create a simple one-page website using our drag-and-drop simple Website Builder tool, build a multi-page website with the same Website Builder, install a WordPress blog, or have one of our professional web designers make a website for you.
We’ll cover the first option in this post: building a one-page website with the easy-to-use do-it-yourself website creator that’s free with EarthLink Web Hosting.
Build Your Own Single-Page Website – with Our Free Website Builder
1. Open your web browser and go to your EarthLink Web Hosting Control Panel at cc.earthlink.net.
2. At the Sign In screen, enter your domain name (yourdomainname.com), and the username and password you chose and click Login.
3. On the main Control Center page, look for the Build section on the right side and click the icon above EasySiteWizard Pro (show in the screenshot above). This is the name of the Website Builder you will be using.
4. Click the Landing Page link to get started building your simple, single page website. (In our next post we’ll cover the Multi-Page Site option.)
5. Add details about your business and your website on the next Create New Site page. Choose a website directory to publish into. If you leave the Publish To (directory) field empty, you will publish to root of your domain name website (www.mywebsite.com) vs. a directory like www.mywebsite.com/business/. Click the checkbox if you want to enable an RSS feed of your website. And click Yes if you want to add a Contact Us form or a Google Map. Click the green Next > button when you are done.
6. On the Choose a Landing Page Design page, click on one of the web design template thumbnails to use for your website. The design will enlarge so you can decide if you want to use it. Click Apply to use this design for your website or Cancel to close the window and choose another design.
7. On the final HTML Editor screen, use the toolbar buttons to create new text fields, insert images, undo or redo changes you make, save your page changes, create or update forms, and more. Hover your mouse over any toolbar icon to learn what it is.
8. Double-click on any image to resize, delete or move it.
9. Double-click on any text box to edit the text. You can drag the text box to resize it, move it on the page, or delete it. Click the Font Properties button while you are editing text to make the font larger or smaller, choose a different font type, change the color, and more.
10. When you’ve made all your changes, click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right to preview your website. If it looks good, click the arrow icon furthest to the right to automatically publish your website to your domain.
Here’s the sample page I quickly made as I was writing this (not a real company):
Editing & Updating Your Website
After you publish your website, you click back into EasyWebSite Pro from your EarthLink Web Hosting Control Panel at any time to edit, update, or add pages your website. When you do, click the Manage Sites tab in the upper-right instead of using one of the links for building a new site.
Good luck getting started building your own website. Come back to our Web Hosting blog for more web building tutorials on building multi-page websites, creating a WordPress blog, and using web design pros to build your site.