EarthLink Web Hosting gives you many easy ways to make a website for yourself or your business.
We recently showed you how to quickly build a one-page business website with our free Website builder, and followed that with a post showing you how easy it is to create a multi-page web site for your business.
Today, we show you how to install WordPress and publish a blog on your domain name website. WordPress is the #1 blogging software in the world. It is both easy to use and full of robust professional features.
Using the WordPress Installer to Create a Blog on Your Website
1. Open your browser and go to the EarthLink Web Hosting Control Center at cc.earthlink.net.
2. Sign in by entering your domain name, username, and password. Then click Login.
3. In the Build section of the Control Center, click the WordPress icon above WordPress Installer (show on the right).
4. On the Main Menu, select Install WordPress (that will be the only available option unless you have a previous WordPress installation).
5. Create a WordPress Administrator account by simply filling in the brief form (note: your password must contain both letters and numbers and be at least 8 characters long). You can click the Advanced Options checkbox to select a Database to manage and to create an Installation Directory for WordPress, but for this tutorial we will use the default settings without clicking Advanced Options.
6. Click the green Next button to complete the installation (you’ll see a big green checkmark to show the installation was a success).
7. You will be returned to the main menu where you can click Manage WordPress to begin creating your blog content. You will need to log in with the WordPress admin username and password you created in step 5.
We’ll write in greater detail about using the WordPress Dashboard to post to your blog and make other changes in a later post, but here are a few things to start you off:
• Click the Posts menu to edit the default Hello World post with your own homepage copy and first blog post.
• Click Pages and then Add New to create additional pages on your blog.
• Click Appearance and then Install Themes (at the top of the page) to find a new blog theme (click the Featured link for some good suggestions).
• Click Settings to create your Site Name, Tagline, and other important website details.
Good luck with your WordPress blog.