WiFi Security is important, so here are EarthLink’s top 7 tidbits of advice:
- Customize Settings: Your WiFi router probably arrived with a default network name (called your SSID) and log in info (username/password). Change all of these to be custom the first time you use your router.
- Nonsense passwords are strong passwords: If your password is something relating to your life (“welovebaseball”) or a birth date, or even easy to remember, change it. Make sure it has at least 8 characters and is impossible to remember (though DO remember to write it down and store it in a secure place).
- Get turned on: Your WiFi router has built-in security settings, so make sure they are active. (If there are multiple possibler settings, select WPA2 or, if that isn’t available, WPA.
- Don’t Broadcast: If your router options include “Disable SSID Broadcast“, make sure it’s selected.
- Center your Router: Move your router away from walls, as close as possible to the center of your home to both increase the performance of your network and stop “bleed” (the broadcast of your signal outside of its intended area), so fewer people have access to it and your WiFi security is stronger.
- Protect from Your Computer: EarthLink members can download the EarthLink Protection Control Center (it’s free!), or purchase a low-cost subscription to Norton 360. These products include built-in firewalls, antivirus, and anti-spyware features.
Like favorite colors, everyone has an internet connection that fits them best. Find out which connection YOU are with this fun guide:
You are DIAL-UP if…
…you want internet that is basic, universal, and inexpensive. Dial-upinternet is a good choice for basic web users. It isn’t the fastest internet connection available (though EarthLink does provide a free dial-up accelerator that lets you surf up to 7x faster than regular 56K dial-up), but it can be installed into any home in America with a phone line. And it’s incredibly cost-effective: Prices are as low as $9.95/mo for the first three months!
You are DSL if…
…you need a reliable connection, but require more speed than dial-up (to watch a lot of videos, stream content, etc). DSL internet is up to 100x faster than dial-up access, and is perfect for those who spend a lot of time online. With low pricing like $14.95/mo for the first three months, it’s also a great value!
You are CABLE if…
…you like to spend a lot of time downloading/uploading content, streaming full-length movies, playing detailed online games, (etc.). Though offers vary by location, a cable internet connection can start at only $29.95/mo, and can be up to 250x faster than dial-up access. It’s a great solution for people who feel the need for online speed!
(NOTE: if you live in a rural area that doesn’t have access to cable or DSL, but desire more speed than dial-up, EarthLink offers satellite internet to make sure your needs get met!)
A reliable (and often high-speed) internet connection is a modern necessity. We need to be connected to check our email, use social media, keep up with the news, read blogs (cough cough), and…shame our dogs?
“Dog shaming” is a tongue-in-cheek craze that’s sweeping the internet. Owners will make a sign with a phrase like “I won’t stop barking” and take a picture of it near their dog. “Dog shaming” takes its cue from the controversial topic of “child shaming” (think of a grounded teenager being told to upload a picture of them holding a “I’m off Facebook for three weeks because I missed my curfew” sign) and tries to put a comedic spin on it.
So is this funny or just dumb?
The EarthLink Blog has articles about getting your business started online (including selecting a URL) as well as tips on choosing the right domain, so now we’ll tell you about “extras” you can add as a part of your EarthLink domain registration).
Here are three tools EarthLink offers as add-ons:
When registering a domain name, the personal information you input to purchase it (name, address, email address) is displayed for anyone willing to look up that particular URL. But EarthLink can make your registration “private,” meaning we hide your personal information to protect you from unwanted communications and spam!
If you took the time to select a domain, chances are you’re going to work hard to make sure people recognize it and visit. But nothing is stopping other businesses from registering similar domain names (either to try and take business away, or simply because they’re not aware of your site). Bur, if you have Domain Guard, EarthLink alerts you when a domain name similar to yours is registered. This way, you can respond to protect trademarks, copyrights and branding efforts!
Were you forced to to register a “.biz” instead of a “.com” (or settle in some other way) because the domain you wanted was already purchased, but not being used? EarthLink’s Domain Monitor tells you when an existing domain name becomes available so you can get the URL you really want!