Once you recognize that the word “malware” is a combination of “malicious” and “software,” the definition speaks for itself.
Cybercriminals use malware to infect and control computers and phones, in hopes of gathering sensitive data, stealing logins and passwords, displaying unwanted advertising or stealing identities.
Follow these steps to help protect your electronics from malware:
- Enable automatic security updates
- Beware of phishing attacks
- Enable automatic anti-virus scans of portable media (e.g. USB sticks) with real-time protection
- Heed anti-virus warnings
- Never disable anti-virus software for the sake of speed, space or website access
- Install trusted anti-virus software on your personal computers and smartphones
You can also protect your device with Norton Security products.