A customizable MyEarthLink Start Page® is one of the many member benefits that you get with EarthLink Dial-Up, High Speed DSL, Freestanding DSL, Cable, or Satellite Internet access.
With news, sports scores, weather, stock quotes, shopping, and more, myEarthLink is a convenient and helpful place to start your web surfing every day.
One feature that makes it even more convenient is My Email.
As the name suggests, this feature lets you know when you have new EarthLink email and gives you easy access to Web Mail for full email access.
You can even add non-EarthLink email accounts such as Gmail and AOL Mail.
Here’s how to get started:
- Make sure the My Email feature is active on your Start Page. If you don’t see it, you probably need to add it from the Add a Feature section.
- Click the Sign In to My Email button.
- Enter your EarthLink email address and password, and choose how many message you want displayed on your Start Page (from 5 – 10).
- Check the box next to Show messages on myEarthLink.
- Check the box to Automatically Sign In to EarthLink Web Mail (unless other people will use your Start Page who you don’t want to have access to your email).
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.
- If that’s the only account you want to add, click the Done button. Otherwise, click the Add an Email Account link to add another account.
In most cases, setup is simple. But if you run into any trouble, click the Help link in the upper-right corner of the page.
Last week we posted about Microsoft’s launch of the all-new Windows 8 operating system. We know that many of you may have already upgraded or will do so in the near future.
One change we’d like to prepare you for concerns your access to EarthLink email. The Windows 8 operating system no longer comes with Windows Live Mail pre-installed. The new email program does not allow POP email accounts like those from EarthLink to be configured.
If you are using Windows 8, you have three options for downloading your EarthLink POP email:
- EarthLink Web Mail: The simplest way to get your EarthLink email is to use our Web Mail. Just open any web browser, go to webmail.earthlink.net and sign in with your EarthLink email address and password.
- Outlook.com: Add your EarthLink email address to Microsoft’s Outlook.com and then connect Outlook to the Windows 8 Mail app. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to http://Outlook.com. (If you don’t have a Microsoft account, create one.)
- Click the settings icon (looks like gears) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select More mail settings from the settings menu.
- Click Sending/receiving email from other accounts under Managing Your Account.
- Click the Add an email account link in the middle of the page.
- Click Advanced options.
- Configure your email settings by entering your POP server name (pop.earthlink.net), unchecking SSL, choosing Port 587, and adding in your full email address and password. Then click Next.
- Select an Outlook.com folder for your EarthLink mail or have it come to your inbox. We recommend having it come to your inbox. Click Save when done.
- Verify your email address by clicking a link that comes in a confirmation email that Microsoft sends to your POP account. Your Outlook.com account should now show all the messages that are stored in your POP account.
- To associate Outlook.com and your EarthLink email with your Windows 8 computer, click the Windows 8 Mail app tile. Then select Accounts under Settings.
- Select Outlook.
- Enter your Outlook.com username and password then click Connect.
If you are an EarthLink Internet access member with either dial-up Internet , cable internet, high-speed DSL, freestanding DSL (that’s DSL without a phone line), or high-speed satellite internet access, here are some things you should know about your EarthLink email:
- you can create up to 8 email addresses (just click the Add a new email profile link in My Account)
- you can access your email with an email client like Outlook or Outlook express, or on the Web using EarthLink Web Mail
- spam and email virus protection are active automatically but you can change your spam settings here
- you get 100 MB of email storage for each email address
The rest of this post will help you with that last bullet point: email storage space.
While 100 MB is plenty of storage for most people, depending on how you use your email, your email box may get filled up, especially if you often receive large attachments or haven’t deleted old mail recently.
If your email storage space is maxed out (or close to it), people may have email messages they send to you bounce back to them and you may receive an error message about reaching your storage limit.
To avoid this problem (or deal with it now that you’re aware of it), here’s what you should do to clear out some email storage space:
- Sign into EarthLink Web Mail with your email address & password.
- Check what percentage of your 100 MB of email store space you are using (you’ll see it in the upper-left corner of Web Mail).
- In your Inbox, put checkmarks next to messages you want to delete and then click the Delete button. TIP: to quickly clear the most space, click the Date link in the header twice to sort your messages from oldest to newest (you may want to start by deleting all the oldest ones), or click the Size link and start deleting the messages that are taking up the most space (which probably have large attachments).
- Click the Empty link next to the Trash folder to the left of your Inbox.
- Click OK to confirm you want to delete all the messages in your Trash (if you are not sure, click the Trash link and make sure there’s nothing in the Trash you want to save).
Just remember to log out and then sign back in (with your other EarthLink email addresses and passwords) if you want to repeat these simple steps to clear storage space in your other email inboxes.