So, it’s been about three weeks since Microsoft launched its new Window 8 operating system, which we wrote about here.
We followed up a couple of weeks ago with a post about how to use EarthLink email with Window 8.
Today we’ll continue to look at Windows 8 and the EarthLink Internet experience, focusing on the compatibility of current versions of EarthLink software with the new operating system. The good news: most of our current software can run on Windows 8 in Desktop mode (see below).
Look for updates as we release new software both here on the EarthLink Blog and in the EarthLink Support Center.
Windows 8 Metro vs. Desktop Mode
Windows 8 features an all-new interface called Metro (all the colorful tiles you see in promotions for Windows 8). In addition to Metro, Windows 8 has a more familiar-looking Desktop mode that operates more like an optimized Window 7 system than the new Metro.
Some programs, like EarthLink Access Software (see below), are not compatible with Metro but are fully compatible in Windows 8 Desktop mode. You may see an icon for these programs on the Metro interface, but when you click on them Windows 8 automatically launches them in Desktop mode.
EarthLink Access Software (current release, version 8.3)*
- EarthLink Access Software installation on Windows 8 will switch to Desktop Mode.
- You will be able to use our Internet connection software in Desktop mode only.
- Click the software’s icon from the Metro Start screen and it will open in Desktop mode.
- Dial-Up Connection and Modem detection both work on Windows 8.
- Broadband/DSL Connection mode also works on Windows 8.
* Note: PeoplePC Access Software works just like EarthLink Access Software on Windows 8.
Protection Control Center
- If you currently have Protection Control Center installed, we recommend that you uninstall the security program before upgrading to Windows 8.
- After Windows 8 is fully installed, you can install or reinstall Protection Control Center.
- Windows 8 will switch to Desktop mode when installing Protection Control Center.
- Protection Control Center will work in Desktop mode only.
- When you click the Protection Control Center icon on the Metro start screen, a window will pop up asking “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” You must click Yes for the software to work correctly.
- Security scans and Firewall work normally in Desktop mode.
EarthLink Online Backup
EarthLink Online Backup offers automatic, remote backup of multiple computers or devices. It’s a great way to make sure you don’t lose any important data or files.
- EarthLink Online Backup works normally on Windows 8 but in Desktop mode only.
- If you already have the backup software installed, make sure you uninstall EarthLink Online Backup before you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (it can block the Windows upgrade process).
- After Windows 8 is fully installed, you can reinstall EarthLink Online Backup software normally.
EarthLink System Scanner
The EarthLink System Scanner is a quick and easy way to find out what your PC may need. It checks if your computer is secure, finds simple PC fixes, and analyzes your system.
- Good news: the EarthLink System Scanner works normally on Windows 8.
PC FineTune optimizes the speed and performance of your computer. Unfortunately, the current version (v. 11) of PC FineTune is NOT compatible with Windows 8.
We recommend you do not install or run the current version of PC FineTune if you have a Windows 8 computer. Check back with our website for a Windows 8 compatible version. If you currently use PC FineTune and are considering an upgrade to Windows 8, you may want to wait.
Having problems with our software? First uninstall, then reinstall.
If you are one of our customers who are already using our software, we want your Windows 8 upgrade experience to be as positive as possible.
When upgrading from Windows 7, Windows 8 will make an attempt to carry over your previously installed EarthLink programs. However, it is possible some programs will not work correctly after the upgrade or may even prevent the upgrade process.
We recommend if you have any problems with EarthLink or PeoplePC software during the upgrade process that you uninstall them and then reinstall them after the Windows 8 installation is successful. Good luck!