Hurricane Sandy is everywhere on the news, and (for those with a reliable internet connection), on social media as well. Many first hand accounts are being spread through social media, but so are a few fakes. Here are the top three faked Hurricane Sandy photos to be aware of.
- The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- This photo has been circulating as being taken during a downpour brought on by the hurricane hitting DC. While it is a real photograph, it’s from September of this year, and was not taken during Sandy. Below is a photograph that The National Guard shared that is actually from the beginning of the storm.
- Waves Around the Statue of Liberty
- This photo makes the storm look more than terrifying; it makes it seem apocalyptic! And there’s a reason…it’s actually from a movie. Specifically, the screen shot is from the movie “The Day After Tomorrow” in which NYC is flooded. Someone added a news bar at the bottom to make it seem realistic, but the picture is indeed a fake.
- Clouds Over the Statue of Liberty