Last week we posted about Microsoft’s launch of the all-new Windows 8 operating system. We know that many of you may have already upgraded or will do so in the near future.
One change we’d like to prepare you for concerns your access to EarthLink email. The Windows 8 operating system no longer comes with Windows Live Mail pre-installed. The new email program does not allow POP email accounts like those from EarthLink to be configured.
If you are using Windows 8, you have three options for downloading your EarthLink POP email:
- EarthLink Web Mail: The simplest way to get your EarthLink email is to use our Web Mail. Just open any web browser, go to webmail.earthlink.net and sign in with your EarthLink email address and password.
- Live Mail: First, download Windows Live Mail Essentials. Then configure your EarthLink email using this walkthrough.
- Outlook.com: Add your EarthLink email address to Microsoft’s Outlook.com and then connect Outlook to the Windows 8 Mail app. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to http://Outlook.com. (If you don’t have a Microsoft account, create one.)
- Click the settings icon (looks like gears) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select More mail settings from the settings menu.
- Click Sending/receiving email from other accounts under Managing Your Account.
- Click the Add an email account link in the middle of the page.
- Click Advanced options.
- Configure your email settings by entering your POP server name (pop.earthlink.net), unchecking SSL, choosing Port 587, and adding in your full email address and password. Then click Next.
- Select an Outlook.com folder for your EarthLink mail or have it come to your inbox. We recommend having it come to your inbox. Click Save when done.
- Verify your email address by clicking a link that comes in a confirmation email that Microsoft sends to your POP account. Your Outlook.com account should now show all the messages that are stored in your POP account.
- To associate Outlook.com and your EarthLink email with your Windows 8 computer, click the Windows 8 Mail app tile. Then select Accounts under Settings.
- Select Outlook.
- Enter your Outlook.com username and password then click Connect.